Installing a router bit is a confusing task for you? No, it is not a hard job at all! Here it is. A router is a hand machine or power tool that is used to hollow out an area in any object especially hard materials such as wood or hard plastics. They are easy to handle with your hands and highly speedy in cutting, trimming, shaping of wood, metal plastic, etc.
To use router bit properly and to get good results, router bit must be installed in a proper way in a router’s collet because it holds a cutting bit and keeps in contact with the motor spindle. Improper installment may cause issues in your machine and will not be convenient to use. Before starting the work, you should read about “Woodworking Safety Rules” and “Marking and Measuring Tools“.
How to Install a Router Bit in Easy Way
Before starting, make sure that bit is clean, pitch free and it is necessary that it must be very sharp. If there will be flaws in a bit like chipped, dull or too much burned it will create errors in processing. So issues must be resolved before installing it.
- First thing is to select a suitable bit for the router. Find out the bit that is appropriate in size, shape, sharpness. Because bits with errors may not give out the satisfactory result.
- The neatness of a bit and collect is the main thing to keep in mind. Rusting will create friction and due to this temperature will meet to the higher levels. Also, sawdust will decrease the life of a machine.
- Next is to insert the router bit in the collection so that it meets the bottom of it. Choose the suitable for it by drawing a bit back slowly. If you will adjust it, there will be squash between a collet and the shank and too much friction will be produced which will harm all your effort and working would not be fruitful.
- First, put the shank into the bottom of the collet and then take out a small bit because it will create a good space between the collet and the bit also friction problems will not be faced. It is a step of keen importance because if there will be proper spacing between a bit and a collet then there will be a higher chance of damaging or it is also possible that the machine will break.
- After pulling up a bit, tight the collet nut with proper handling or you can use a wrench also.
- When the bit tightens is properly, there must be a minimum ¾” of shank seized in a collet. If your bit is shorter than this so it should be replaced for the desired results.
Also Read: Best Wood Router Reviews
- Always keep in mind to wear safety glasses for protection of eyes and earplugs for the protection of ears, to avoid any hearing problem
- Hold the router properly, especially if you are using it for the first time also clearly go through the instructions and properly understand all the instructions.
- Set a suitable speed for the router to get the results according to your wish. If the speed will not be set properly it will not give out the best results also your tool will break easily. Incorrect working speed might cause the router to completely shut down.
- Another safety measure for this process is to check out the bit’s shank that it is longer than three-fourths of inches or not. If it is not, then choose the appropriate shank because shorter shank will not work properly and will be unfit for use.
- If you hear any unusual noise in the router bit, stop it immediately and search out for the problem otherwise, it will destroy all your effort.
- Do not keep your fingers too close to a spinning router bit. If the part gets too small secure it in a jig like coping sled or something like sliding carrier.
- Do not overload the router it will damage your machine and will decrease the efficiency of it.
- Feed the stock from right towards left.
A router is the most useful woodcutter and plastic cutter tool, especially for carpenters. It is very easy and convenient to use. It does the most difficult task within minutes. It can be hazardous sometimes because it is a very sharp tool and if safety measures will not be taken it will harm you.
There are many kinds of specialized router available anywhere in the markets, in different sizes and shapes. The biggest advantage of it is that the router uses a bit for creating the appropriate hole and gives an accurate shape to the object. But while using it first read the manual so that beginners will not be facing any confusion and you’ll be happy with the results.